Saturday, November 27, 2010

morning Glory to God

Tonight, we had a roommate dinner and went to see "Morning Glory". We did it minus one roommate, who is out of town, and said roommate does not like to watch movies in the theater. I think this stems from the fact that she believes watching movies, when you can't do something else at the same time, is in fact a waste of time. No judgement here, but the rest of us in the house do enjoy a brief respite from reality.

In tonight's feature, we saw a young woman achieve her dreams (dream job, dream man) by merely staying positive, working tirelessly, and never giving up, all in one hour, 42 minutes. Great huh? She even managed to look prettier as time went on and her work stress increased. Incredible. What a role model for us young women out there. She's 28. I'm 28. According to this movie, if I give my heart and soul to my job, show up early, leave late, I will find great satisfaction in my job, and most likely will meet a great guy, who just happens to be rich, handsome, and pursues me before he even knows more than my name. Perfect.

Can you taste my sarcasm through your computer screen? Don't get me wrong, it was a cute movie, no regrets about spending $10. A nice escape from reality. BUT, it is merely an escape, not reality. You cannot always find satisfaction in your job by working tirelessly. Actually, I've found, in the short 3 years I've been a professional, that being the first one at work, and the last to leave, actually decreases my job satisfaction. And if you look for a great guy, you may not find one. And if you don't look for a great guy, you may not find one. And if you oscillate between looking and not looking, you may not find one. And no matter how much your mom prays, you may not find one... Alas, your reality may be working with people you don't like, in a job that doesn't pay what you want, and the only person you share your bed with is a cat. (Not that I know anything about this) However, if this is your life, then God says we should glorify Him in it. (1 Cor. 10:31) I guess there's just not room in Hollywood tales for glorifying God.



2 comments:

sowlee said...

Hmmm. Perhaps I'll wait to rent that one.

Elle said...

oh em. Chin up.