Thursday, October 07, 2010

Jealousy

"There's a truth you can't deny, a fact as sure as fate. There are things that can't be hurried, and things that just can't wait."

This verse was scripted at the bottom of a painting that hung in our bathroom growing up. It showed a little kid, bored, sitting on the toilet, and on the other side of the door, you saw a kid doing the potty dance. It was the 80's. It worked for our family.

There are some other truths out there you can't deny either. I was reminded of this the other day when out with some friends and ran into an acQUAINTance. She's tin-y. Like, her leg is the size of my arm. And she comes up to just above my shoulder. And she's very pretty. And she could wear a paper bag and still look nice. But, when I talk to her, I feel like I'm talking to a 12 yr old. She's nice, but just kind of lacking. I can't quite put my finger on it.. something.. However, the truth of the matter is, the truth I can't deny, is that she will always attract the attention and pursuit of a guy first because, a) she is so tiny (i.e. feminine), b) pretty, and c) has mastered the oh-so-powerful art of flirting. And no matter what size I am, I will always look like a horse in comparison to her (no need for an intervention, I know what size I am really, but relatively speaking), and I will never master the art of flirting, because I like to be genuine, and I don't feel genuine if I feel I must give false-flattery in order for a guy to feel good.

In reality though, I'm just jealous of how tiny she is, how pretty she is, and how easily she catches the eye of all gentlemen in the near vicinity.
And jealousy is not pretty. That's a fact.

1 comment:

sowlee said...

I love the little saying and illustration. If it makes you feel any better, I always feel like a horse next to you. For you to say someone is tiny, well, I probably wouldn't even be able to see them until I accidentally stepped on them with my shoe and looked under it to see what I stepped on and realized it was, in fact, a tiny girlish smashed person. So, there's that.