Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sweet Mama


My sweet mom headed back to her home in Namibia yesterday (Monday) and I miss her terribly. She has always been a close confidant with whom I can share anything. (of course I miss my dad too! But I've had my mom in Texas, a phone call away for the last 5 weeks.)
Sunday, she and I talked and folded clothes (a way women fellowship, I'm not sure what the guy equivalent is) and of course my scrubs were wrinkled because I left them sitting for too long. My sweet mom insisted on IRONING my scrubs! Who irons their hospital scrubs?




I think she did this with mixed motivation: partly because she wants me looking my best always, even at work where she thinks I may run in to an available doctor ( of which, for the record, there are none), and partly because she just wanted to find a way to love on me. She was definitely successful in one aspect: I certainly felt loved as I walked into work Monday morning in my freshly pressed, ceil blue, Cotten scrubs, all the way up to 12pm when my last patient of the morning pooped on them. Awesome.

I hope my mom realizes how loved she (and my dad too) is as she is flying into South Africa right about.....now.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

Steve and Pam said...

ironing = act of love! Miss you mucho!! Love you, Em!!

sowlee said...

scrubs are already kinda like toilet paper anyway though, aren't they?

Emily said...

Apparently, in the patient-world, "scrubs" are synonomous with "toilet paper", and "PT" is synonomous with "one who waits on me hand and foot."

Steve and Pam said...

oh, geez, are you serious about hte TP and PT comments? I am amazed that patients would think that way...but then, I'm not in the med world. Sounds more like a definition for a momma...keep the heart on the right path!