Sunday, January 24, 2010

Hobby Hobbies

Since moving to a house that is closer to where I work, I decided to change my work schedule to 730 to 4pm, so I'm done earlier in the day, while not having to get up much earlier than when I lived farther away. It's working out quite wonderfully, and now I have a lot more time on my hands.... So I've decided I need to get a hobby because the things I do aren't really hobbies.
These are some of the (kinda lame) things I do to with my free time:

1) Working out. This of course is good for me, and I do enjoy the lift class I recently started going to, but I'm not sure it's a hobby.

2) Getting rid of debt. I probably like balancing my checking book and tweaking my budget too much in my ongoing journey to get rid of debt. Again, not a bad thing (unless it becomes obsessive) but not really a hobby.

3) Watching Office and Law & Order reruns. mmmm, not really good for me (not bad either) and definitely not a hobby.

So, I'm going to pick up a hobby. Any suggestions?

I like photography. I'd like to learn to cook, but that can be an expensive hobby. I like to knit, but I get bored with it. I don't want to sew, because I always end up buying the fabric, then getting frustrated when the shirt I was trying to make comes out looking like a quilted skort. I will think on this and get back to you.

4 comments:

sowlee said...

suggestions of cheap and rewarding hobbies:
1. container gardening- you can use almost anything (even old shoes) and if you grow something awesome like herbs- you can totally use them when/if you cook!!
2. local book clubs or just plain recreational reading on your own
3. audit interesting classes at a local university
4. pen pals...ahem...
5. blogging...AHEM.

Steve and Pam said...

sowlee, you are just GREAT!!! I think she should add 'salsa' classes; missionary training; learning to ice skate; hat modeling; hubby-hunting club?, etc....
Right now, she's just a great daughter/sister who is so very caring for her family.

emily louise said...

Only a loving, caring, concerned mom would list "hubby hunting" as a hobby...I know you have good intentions mom :) hat modeling, now that's a hobby I can get behind...

KB said...

"hubby hunting" cracked me up.